The Q&A Archives: Training Honeysuckle Vines

Question: I want to train a honeysuckle vine up a 10-foot post and onto a deck railing. Should I prune it to a couple of main stems?

Answer: Vines climb through different means; there are vines with tendrils, holdfasts, and twining vines. Honeysuckle is a twining vine. You don't have to prune it to a couple of main stems, but it would probably be easier to work with. Pruning during different times of the year affects the growth of vines. Generally, pruning vines in late winter or early spring will stimulate more growth than pruning in summer or fall. So, if you prune down to the main stem during late winter or early spring it should cover the pole faster in the long run. The vines can be attached to the pole and deck railing with very soft twine tied loosely (so you don't bind or girdle the vine at all), pieces of nylon stocking, or special padded vine ties.