The Q&A Archives: asian jasmine

Question: Is it possible to get rid of asian jasmine???? After consulting a nursery I first weedeated the ground cover, waited for new growth, sprayed with Miracle Grow, wait for new growth and sprayed with Round Up with spreader sticker, sprayed with Round Up with spreader sticker, sprayed with Round Up with spreader sticker. . . get the picture? I can't kill the stuff. Please help. Thanks

Answer: Welll... to completely get rid of the plants, you'll have to dig up the roots. Failing that, you'll have to be methodical in cutting down every sprout that emerges, before they develop leaves. By doing this, you'll eventually starve the roots out. It takes some of the stored energy in the roots to produce new shoots. Once they emerge from the soil, they go into double-duty to develop leaves to capture sunlight and convert it into energy so the energy can be transported back to the roots. If you diligently mow down every shoot that emerges, you'll effectively kill out the roots. This method is very effective, but it is time consuming and labor intensive. It might be easier to dig the roots out. Best wishes with your project!