The Q&A Archives: Acceptable to the climate

Question: I bought a few plants reciently to use in my yard. They are a yucca cane(Yucca elephantipes) a Dracaena Massangeana cane (Dracaena massangeana) a Money tree (Pachira Sp) and a big rubber tree looking plant. My question are these hearty enough to survive ouside in a local winter. I am in zone 6. Thank you for your time.. Barb

Answer: Yucca elephantipes, the spineless yucca, is easy to grow in any well drained soil, acidic or alkaline, and it is moderately tolerant of salt spray and salty soils. Spineless yucca tolerates full sun to shade and is is highly tolerant of drought.
Hardiness: USDA Zones 9 - 11.

Dracaena fragrans massangeana is more commonly known as the Corn Plant. It can be grown outdoors as a summer annual, or indoors all year around. It does well in low light conditions and its wide leaves are long and arc gracefully from the stalk. Fragrans can be either grown as a low shrub form, by rooting tip cuttings, or a tree form, by rooting mature canes. It is not winter hardy in your growing region.

Pachira, the Money Tree, is also an indoor plant but can be grown outdoors during the summer months.

Ficus, the rubber plant, is tropical in nature and makes a terrific houseplant.

I'd say enjoy your new plants but consider them annuals if you leave them outdoors during the winter months. If you bring them inside, they'll live for many years.