The Q&A Archives: Pests in Vegetable Garden

Question: I have had great difficulty over the past couple of year keeping my vegetables from being eaten by deer, chipmunks, and woodchucks. One vegetable I've noticed doesn't get bothered is eggplant. Can you recommend any others that might have little or no appeal to the above mentioned critters?

Answer: Hungry deer will eat almost anything - including eggplant. I just don't think they've discovered them yet. The only sure way to keep these critters out of your garden is to fence it. Deer can jump five feet easily, so eight feet is a suggested minimum height, possibly with the addition of an outrider, or a section that tilts outward, at the top of that. There are repellents you can try, both commercially formulated and home made based on garlic and/or red pepper. However, in my own sad experience a fence really is the best method of protection.