The Q&A Archives: Golden Full Moon Maple Trees - Acer japonicum, shirasawanum, Aureum

Question: Hello, I am interested in planting a Golden full moon maple, Acer japonicum (syn. shirasawanum) Aureum. From what I understand, this is rare tree which consequently is very costly to transplant. I am interested in knowing if your company sells the seeds for this tree, if not, do you have any recommendations as to where one can purchase some? Furthermore, what type of conditions does this tree do well in and what are some issues to look out for with a Golden full moon maple tree.

Thank you kindly,

Answer: Acer japonicum shirasawanum aureum, the golden full moon maple, is hardy only to USDA zone 5. I'm afraid your gardening region is much to cold to successfully grow this tree. Monrovia does not sell seeds of this, or any other tree. Sorry I can't be more helpful!