The Q&A Archives: dense, conical shaped evergreen tree

Question: We had to cut down a blue spruce tree because it became way too wide for the space it was originally planted in......can you tell me of a variety of evergreen tree that doesn't get more than 5-6 wide - height is not a problem......we were told a

Answer: The cedar would also grow far too large. I think you might do better with an upright yew, these are naturally more narrow and can be pruned to a uniform shape. You might also consider some of the columnar arborvitaes, these will be tall but are naturally very narrow. Another possibility might be some of the conical to upright junipers. Your local professional nursery staff should be able to help you select a tree that will mature in the size range your spot can accommodate without crowding and also grow well in the spot you have in mind.