The Q&A Archives: Yellowing of leaves and then dropping of leaves, on my White Birch?

Question: I am concerned about one of my Birch Trees. I have two that are real close together and one of them is experiencing yellowing of leaves and then dropping off of the tree. But the other one next to it is not effected what so ever. I don't see any diseasing present, this has been in the last 2-3 weeks. HELP, i do not want to lose this tree!

Answer: Birches are relatively easy to grow and tolerate a fairly wide range of growing conditions and soil types and are relatively pest and disease free, but that is not to say they never have any problems. If one tree is affected and the other is not, I cannot imagine what might be different enough between the two planting sites to cause only one tree stress. At this point I can only suggest you contact your county extension for a precise identification of the problem and suggestions as to how to remedy it.