The Q&A Archives: Gardening Newbie

Question: I spread Scotts Premium seed and Scotts Starter Fertilizer to refresh my existing(or not) lawn two weeks ago today, just prior to a soaking nor'easter. How long should I wait before I expect to see sprouts or should I kiss them goodbye and plan to start again after 4 inches of rain in about as many days?

Answer: Although your lawn received a lot of rain, the seed should still be okay - as long as it didn't wash away. I'd wait another week. By then you should see some new grass. If not, you'll have to re-seed. The fertilizer is water soluable and may have leached out of the soil. Again, wait another week (this will have given both the seed and the fertilizer a total of 3 weeks from application). If you need to re-seed, you can safely re-fertilize without harming your existing lawn or the new seeds you broadcast. Hope the weather cooperates more the second time around!