The Q&A Archives: Azaleas

Question: Each early spring my azaleas are healthy and green, but as soon as they are finished blooming their leaves turn a brownish color. Can you help?

Answer: I wonder if the azalea is planted in the wrong place? Some azaleas tolerate sunshine, others grow best in shady areas. If your type of azalea is a shade lover and is planted where it receives direct afternoon sunshine, the leaves may not be able to tolerate direct sunlight. In this case, moving the plant to a more protected site will help it look more attractive and continue to produce its lovely spring display.

Other causes for browning leaves include over-saturated soil (poorly draining soils) and over-fertilization. Hope this information helps you determine just what might be causing your azalea's leaves to turn brown.