The Q&A Archives: Pink Elf Hydrangeas

Question: Over the past several years, I have bought many of your plants - paraticularly, roses, agapanthus, honeysuckle, hydrangeas. I recently bought several Pink Elf hydrangeas, which I plan on keeping in containers through the summer. Will I be able to plant these in the ground this fall? If I can, when is the latest I should do this? If I can't plant this fall, can I bring the plants in over the winter?

Thanks for your help,
Catherine McKenna

Answer: You can plant these in the fall but the earlier in the fall the better, say early September. You want to allow a minimum of 8 to 10 weeks prior to the ground freezing. This will allow more time for it to become rooted before the stress of winter. I would also suggest planting it in a very sheltered spot with protection from the winter winds and applying a deep mulch in late fall. You may also want to provide a wind break and possibly wrap it for the winter.