The Q&A Archives: green eggs in my ficus soil

Question: Recently I noticed green shelled eggs? in the soil of my ficus (weeping fig). Most of the leaves have since fallen off. I am wondering what the green eggs are, and whether there is any hope for my ficus? The ficus has had a rough winter - not enough sun, too close to a base board heater, and lack of water ... I realize these conditions lead to a loss of leaves, but I have yet to come across an explanation for the green eggs. Thank you.

Answer: I don't know how long you've had your plant, but I wonder if what you're finding are little fertilizer pellets? Time-release fertilizer is often added to potting soil or dumped on top of the soil at the nursery. These little pellets are often green in color and can take many, many months to degrade before releasing their nutrients. Why not try squishing one between your fingers? A fertilizer pellet will be hard but will crack under pressure. Insect eggs will be quite soft. If the pellets are fertilizer, leave them there. If they're insect eggs, vacuum them up or brush them off the soil.

Best wishes with your ficus tree!