The Q&A Archives: money tree shock

Question: Well we had a slight accident. My son fell into my 6ft tall beautiful money tree plant. I had to clip a quite a few branches from it. Ever since, every day, the leaves start to yellow then brown within hours then drop to the floor. This is happening daily. How do I save this poor plant?

Answer: It sounds as though there was more damage to your money tree than was first evident. Depending upon how much you cut off the plant, it may have suffered as much from being pruned as it did from being overturned. The roots may have even been severed from the trunk of your plant if the plant fell hard when your son fell into it. You can unpot your plant and check the root system to make sure it is still attached to the rest of the tree. If all looks okay, repot it and water it well to help settle the soil. Then just wait and see if it can recover. I hope so!