The Q&A Archives: Bugs leave white substance on raspberries

Question: My raspberries have been invaded by bugs that leave a white bubbly substance on the plant. Is there an organic way to get rid of the pests and what kind are they? Can I spray for bugs, weeds, and fertilize raspberries all at the same time or is there recommended intervals between each type of treatment? This raspberry patch was already established when we purchased our house and has always been healthy and required little care other than pulling weeds in spring and picking the LOADS of berries. I would hate to lose it to insects and poor maintenance now.

Answer: What you have are spittlebugs, leafhopper-like critters that produce a wasteproduct in the form of bubbly foam. Insecticidal soaps will take care of the problem. I know of no one product that takes care of bugs, weeds, and fertilizing all at once for raspberries. Especially with edibles, it's always wise to use minimum sprays and when they are needed, use what is exactly right for the problem.