The Q&A Archives: lily bulbs with tall white stalks from over wintering

Question: I overwintered my stargazer and asiatic lily bulbs. They started to grow in the basement about a month ago (I think) because they are about 2 ft high and the stalks are white. What a surprise when I went to plant them! What do I do now? Should I cut the stalks or will that kill the bulbs? Will they sprout new stems if I cut them back or has all their energy been exbended?

Answer: I would plant them in containers then gradually move them into the light so they can adjust slowly. With luck they will green up and then you can go ahead and plant them in the ground. Do not cut them back as they will not regrow. I am not sure why you overwintered them indoors, these should be perennial for you and can be planted in the fall; usually they do not store well under home conditions so you are lucky they are still alive.