The Q&A Archives: Cat friendly houseplants

Question: Hello!
I have a cat that loves to chew on my plants. I would like to have more plant life in my apartment but I don't want my cat to get sick from eating the plants. Are there any plants that you can recommend that would be ok for a cat. Also, keep in mind that he is an indoor cat. Thanks so much!

Jeanne Leccese

Answer: In my experience, many common house plants are toxic to cats, and the constant nibbling on those that are not tends to make them look terrible -- shredded and browned around the edges, sometimes broken, too. You might try keeping the plants in a separate room or try hanging plants or possibly grow them in a screened enclosure of some kind. A terrarium is a good solution as well.

You might check with your veterinarian for a list of "safe" plants. The Cat Fanciers Association publishes a list, however it uses common rather than botanical names so I personally am a little uncomfortable with it.

There is also the ASPCA Poison Control list you might find interesting.

I hope this helps with your research.