The Q&A Archives: Evergreen Shrub

Question: I want to plant a few evergreen shrubs in front of my house as a backdrop to my perennial garden. They do not need to be taller than 4-6 ft. I prefer something that is not too dense and I am not a huge fan of formal hedges. I have been told to take a look at Dwarf English Laurel, Waxleaf Privet, and Gardenia. Do you think any of these will be what I am looking for and if not, do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much for your help!

Answer: Leah,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

The Dwarf English Laurel and Gardenias are fine but I think the Waxleaf Privet would be too large. One other possibility is to use one of the dwarf nandinas as some varieties provide a nice burgundy foliage color in cool weather.