The Q&A Archives: how to make my Martha Washington Plant grow

Question: I received what I was told is a Martha Washington plant which looks just like a greianum.not It has not grown at all in the last month. I have been trying to find growing tips for this plant with no luck.
Hope you have some advice.
Thank you

Answer: The Martha Washington geraniums are related to but different from the usual geraniums we grow in our summer gardens. This is Pelargonium domesticum, sometimes called the Lady Geranium or the Regal Geranium. It is basically a cool weather loving plant or a spring bloomer and does well as a houseplant. It stops blooming when temperatures rise above about 60 degrees. Once it stops blooming, cut it back. During the summer you can set it outside. It does well in cool morning sun or bright dappled light and a well drained soil; let the soil nearly dry between waterings, in my experience it also does better in a clay pot than plastic. It seems to prefer being somewhat potbound so do not repot it unless it is terribly crowded. Fertilizer regularly spring to fall with a general purpose water soluble fertilizer such as 10-10-10 plus minors. In fall bring it indoors to a sunny location inside but be sure to keep it cool -- 50 to 60 degrees at night -- so it will set buds. Enjoy!