The Q&A Archives: leaf roller on Swedish Aspen

Question: My well established eight feet Swedish Aspens have what appears to be a leaf roller infestation. I have checked at the local tree nursery and am told there is nothing that can be done...please tell me if this is indeed so.

Answer: I'm afraid the information is true. Once leafrollers roll themselves up in the protective coating of the leaf, no pesticides or predators can reach them. The little pests will hatch and leave on their own - hopefully to become food for local birds. Your aspen trees will probably drop the damaged leaves later this season. They may produce replacement leaves, and they may not. In either event, trust your trees - they can recover if you give them time. Best wishes with your landscape!