The Q&A Archives: Pet safe hedge

Question: I am searching for something to use along my backyard fence line. It needs to be thick enough (eventually) to visually block my dogs from seeing the neighbors dogs and safe for the dogs should they chew on it.

I saw several of your plants today at two different nurseries here in Tacoma, and I've tried to use the web site through your FAQ section and still am unsure if any of the plants I saw might work. Can you help me please?

I am interested in(I hope I've go the spelling close):
English laurel
Photinia X fraseri
ceanothuis (wild lilac)
cistus, not dwarf, preferably white, but the pink is OK too
waxleaf privet (OK for birds, but toxic to humans???)
escalla X exoniensis
loropetalum chinense
and I've heard yew is a good hedge option

Thank you for your help.

Answer: I'd recommend Escallonia (fast growing, pink flowers in summer, takes pruning well), Viburnum, or Boxwood (densely branched, fast growing). Yew is considered toxic to dogs, laurel has berries which are toxic if consumed, Photinia gets fungal spots in our climate, Ceanothus is short-lived (about 7 years). Hope this information is helpful!