The Q&A Archives: Ground covers

Question: I was just visiting my parents at a lovely retirement home in Medford Oregon and found the front grounds surrounded my a ground cover I would like to know more about. I took a sprig. complete with leaves/berries/flowers to the local nursery. They told me it was Cotoneaster dammeri 'Eichholz'. Having looked it up on your website,it looks exactly the same but the height of the one I saw was only 2-3

Answer: Growing conditions have a lot to do with plant performance. 'Eichholz' can grow to 12" in height but might have grown lower in Medford. However, a look-alike plant is the ground hugging Cotoneaster adpressa 'Compacta' (Tom Thumb)which grows only about 3" high (and spreads 24" wide). Perhaps this is the plant you saw in Medford.