The Q&A Archives: Shooting Star Hydrangea

Question: I am trying to find out the botanical name for a plant I purchased at my Vons store. They told me it was called a Shooting Star hydrangea.
It has a large flower head that sends out individual blossoms on a 2

Answer: The plant in question is a lacecap variety botanically known as Hydrangea macrophylla ?Shooting Star?. Eventually growing to 4? tall by 4? wide, this plant will thrive only if you grow it outdoors. Choose a location that receives full morning sun followed by afternoon shade or a full day of dappled light. Plant in rich, fertile, well-draining soil and water immediately.

Hydrangeas are thirsty plants; water regularly to keep the soil moist but not soggy. Don?t let your plant wilt; if you do, bloom and leaf edges will turn brown.
Fertilizer: Feed once in spring and again in midsummer with a balanced fertilizer for flowering shrubs.

Monrovia does not carry Shooting Star Hydrangea and I am unable to find a nursery in your area with one in stock. Sorry!