The Q&A Archives: Topiary

Question: What are the best trees/shrubs to use for making a topiary garden? Do you know of any topiary gardens around the Charleston, SC area that I can view?

Answer: Eric,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

I am not aware of any such gardens in that area but feel sure there must be some. Try contacting your local County Extension Office for suggested garden locations.

Many shrubs can be topiary pruned. The most common to consider are junipers, certain dwarf cypresses, various ligustrums, and various hollies including yaupon.