The Q&A Archives: Sweetspire beetles

Question: I have some small black beetles on my sweetspire bushes. I have sprayed them once and the beetles returned after just one week. Any suggestions on what to spray them with or how to keep them from coming back?

Answer: Itea virginica is generally considered to be essentially pest free, so there is no prime suspect for what this would be. Without knowing what the pest is specifically, it is impossible to suggest controls for it or to say if it even poses enough risk to the plant that it needs to be controlled. I would suggest you work with your county extension and/or professionally trained and certified nurseryman to identify the pest and then based on that, decide how to proceed. I hope it is nothing serious.