The Q&A Archives: Dallas Wild grass

Question: I have a mixture of bermuda and st augustine grass. I have been trying to get rid of the dallas wild grass that is taking over my year. I used a weed killer that was recommended for mix grasses and ending up really killing off most of my st augustine and did not kill the wild grass. What can I do to rid of the wild grass and get my st augustine going again?

Answer: Estelle,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

There is not a good answer to that one because as you discovered, products that kill grassy weeds can also kill your turfgrass. If it were my lawn I would try using a wiper applicator to apply glyphosate to the grassy weeds taking care not to get it on the turf. This will leave dead spots but the turf will fill in with watering and fertilizing and time. You will likely need to do this two or three times to really get the problem under control.