The Q&A Archives: Arbovities

Question: My arbovities, that I just planted last year, have turned brown and are thinning out. Have I lost them, or is there some way to bring them back?

Answer: Based on your description I am not sure exactly what is happening to your arborvitaes. These plants grow best in full sun with good air circulation and soil that is evenly moist but not soggy. They will lose some of their oldest foliage each year, usually in the fall, so they may look a little thinner. If they are planted in less than a full day of sun they will grow sparse, less thick and full. Some varieties will turn a bronzy brown in the winter and then turn green again as the growing season continues. But they should not be browning/drying all over. I would suggest you consult with your retailer and/or county extension to determine what is causing the browning and foliage loss and then based on knowing that, decide how to proceed. Good luck wiht your shrubs!