The Q&A Archives: planting grass seeds

Question: i have st.augustine grass in the front, but, i have a small amount in my back. i want to know what kind of seeds would be best. and how do i plant it. thanks

Answer: Alexa,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

St. Augustine grass is not planted from seed. While sometimes you may seed such seed for sale it is not recommended for various reasons. It is better to purchase sod and if you want to save money, cut the sod into strips and plant the strips about a foot apart (or less). They will fill in within one growing season.