The Q&A Archives: ?purple- leafed dwarf peach tree

Question: hi......a couple of weeks ago I inquired about the purple leafed, dwarf peach tree and you replied that you thought it might be a plum.
It has many clusters of little fuzzy PEACHES on it. I found out the answer and thought I?d share it with you. Is called BONFIRE PEACH, dwarf, 5-6 ft. double pink blooms.... thanks

Answer: Wow! Thank you very much for sharing the name of the tree. I did a little research and according to the University of Arkansas (the only reliable site I could find), I learned that Bonfire Peach was released in 1993; it's a brachytic dwarf; mature trees average 5-6' height; 7' wide; it develops peaches but they're considered non-edible; the foliage is red, and mostly full-red until leaf fall; leaves longer than standard peach, 8-10" length; very dense foliage. It blooms at the same time as other peaches and has double pink-red flowers. According to the University it's great as an ornamental shrub or patio container plant and it's resistant to bacterial spot.

Sounds like a terrific find. Enjoy your new tree, and thanks for getting back to us!