The Q&A Archives: Propagation

Question: I have a mother -in-law's tongue; the top of it has grown up and fallen over. It is still growing, but I wondered if I could pull this top part off and root it somehow in another pot or in some water.

Answer: Mother in Law's tongue (Sansevieria) is pretty easy to propagate with leaf cuttings. Here is the way I do it: Take one of the spears (leaves) and cut it from the base of the plant with a sharp instrument such as a razor blade. Lay the leaf out on a counter top. Take the razor blade and make horizontal cuts across the width of the leaf, you will end up with 3 or 4 small, square sections of leaf. Here is the important part: being careful to keep the section in the same direction it was growing (becareful to keep "top" end up) lightly moisten the "bottom" of the section with water and dust with a rooting hormone such as Rootone. Tap off excess powder and place the powdered end into a moistened soilless potting mix. They should liealmost flat on the surface of the mix. Proceed with all sections of leaves, always being careful to keep them in the direction they were growing. Keep the soil moist and eventually, they will develop their own roots and will be ready for potting in individual containers.