The Q&A Archives: Profusion Cherry Zinnia

Question: Could you tell me if the profusion series of the zinnias are trailing plants or do they cascade? A customer of mine brought me in a picture of his garden wall and it had cherry and orange flowers coming over the wall, the photo was small so I couldn't see much detail, but he swore to me these were profusion zinnias. I know state fair and short stuff varieities grow upright but i have never planted the profusion series.

Answer: I would describe Profusion as densely and stiffly mound shaped to about a foot tall and wide. I would not call it trailing or cascading although some of the Zinnia angustifolia or linnearis types could cascade a bit such as the Golden and Golden Orange. (I don't know of a pink like that, though.) Here is a photo to show you the plant. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

If there is a photo of trailing orange and cherry pink flowers I would bet it is probably varieties of Callibrachoa. They could be confused as they are like mini petunias and have the common name Million Bells -- another common annual with a name indicating a profusion of blooms. (It might also be a portulaca in a wall setting.) I hope this helps.