The Q&A Archives: Care for my Needlepoint Holly Bushes

Question: I bought several of your bushes last summer after we moved into our new home from our local nursery. I love the hollies and as promised, they are nice foundation plants. I love the bushes but I want to know what infestations I should be on the look-out for and if you have any advice to prevent some of these infestations. I use Bayer systemic for my trees and I wonder if I can use this on my holly bushes. Thanks. Your plants are very high quality!

Answer: Barbara,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

The only pest I can think of would be scale insects which appear as white spot on the upper leaf surfaces usually along the leaf veins. These can be controlled with horticultural oil sprays if coverage is very good. Systemic insecticides can also be helpful depending on the product. I would wait to apply any product until I saw that an insect infestation was starting.