The Q&A Archives: Eradicating Bermuda Grass In Lawn

Question: How do I get rid of areas of bermuda grass in my bluegrass/fescue lawn? Also, when is the best time of year to start?

Answer: The best (and easiest) control is to dig the weed out, getting as much root and spreading stolons as possible, and/or lay down a couple of layers of corrugated cardboard followed by other mulch. Try not to let the Bermuda grass flower and go to seed before you remove it so, you will want to start removing it in the spring before this occurs. <br>There are are chemical herbicides that will do in the dreaded bermuda grass. Check your local garden center for what is registered in your area. Keep in mind, though, that while more difficult, solarization, if properly done, will kill 100% of Bermuda grass and its seed. It's probably the most effective, long-term control bermuda grass. <br><br>Solarization is a long-term process, taking 3 to 6 months (depending on your temperatures and amount of sunlight). It also requires complete coverage during the process.