The Q&A Archives: Burning Bush Leaves are curled

Question: The leaves on my dwarf burning bush plant are curled. Looked at the leaves, can't seem to see anything, (animal, spider, etc.) on them. How do I save my shrubs? What should I Do?

Answer: What you describe could be the result of wind burn, too much fertilizer, or too much or too little water. It's early enough in the season that you should be able to cut away the damaged plant parts so your shrub can replace the foliage. Make sure that when you water you water deeply so the entire root mass is wet, then wait a week and water deeply again. You can check the soil moisture by watering as usual, waiting 3-4 days and digging a hole near the roots of your plant. If the soil is still moist 3" beneath the surface, you won't need to water for a few days; if it's dry, it's time to water; if it's soggy wet, the site doesn't drain well enough and you'll need to address that problem. Best wishes with your burning bush!