The Q&A Archives: Overwintering Star Jasmine

Question: We live in Northern Wisconsin and I have a lovely Star Jasmine plant.
After in summer ends I want to keep it alive inside. When should I bring it in and where should I put it? In the garage (32 degrees)?in a window(which exposure?) Our house is kept pretty much at 70 degrees-is this too warm? Last year I killed one after I broughtt it inside--all the leaves fell off and even though I watered it a bit, it didn'tt come back.

Answer: Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) isn't rated for your cold winters, so you're right in planning to take it indoors over the winter months. Start by moving it indoors overnight when temperatures drop down to 50 degrees. Move it indoors gradually so it can adjust to the different situation by taking it in at night and back outdoors during the day. Keep it indoors for longer and longer periods until it's spending 24 hours a day inside. Place it in a bright location. Water when the top inch of soil dries out. Ensure that the entire root system gets moistend. Feed once a month with a balanced fertilizer. Good luck!