The Q&A Archives: am i over watering?

Question: I planted 4 burning bushes in the front of my house about ten days ago. they are in full sun and i've been watering them twice a day. yesterday i noticed the leaves are falling off. the leaves are still supple and green and no pests were seen. am i over watering?
thanks, les

Answer: It's important to keep newly transplanted shrubs well watered, but you may be overdoing things. Your shrubs should be watered deeply once each week; apply water slowly so it has a chance to trickle down and wet the entire rootmass. You might want to build a watering basin beneath each and fill the basin; allow it to drain, then fill it a second time. Wait 3-4 days and then dig down to see how moist the soil is. If it is still moist 3" beneath the surface, you won't need to water for a few more days. If it is dry, it's time to water again. Best wishes with your new burning bushes!