The Q&A Archives: Why is my Bulbous Oat Grass Turning Brown in the Center?

Question: I have about 12 clumps of bulbous oat grass that I planted early this spring, around March or so. They looked great for the first few months, but now they are spreading out and the centers of all the plants are turning brown while the outer part of the plants look fine. I think they are getting enough water but not too much water. Why could they be turning brown in the middle? Is there anyting I can do to help them???

Answer: This is a plant that does better in cooler summer climates than yours. Once the weather starts to heat up and is also humid, it tends to either begin to rot out, or sometimes, will go dormant until fall. There is not too much you can do for it because we can't control our summer weather.