The Q&A Archives: star jasmine

Question: Earlier this year I saw a tall bush, with other star jasmines and it had yellow flowers. It looked just like the white star jasmine and smelled like it too. Is there a yellow star jasmine? If so how can I locate two?

Answer: Trachelospermum asiaticum is the yellow star jasmine. Trachelospermum asiaticum is originally from southeast Asia and are made up of climbing or twining plants. They are moderately frost hardy and grow in full sun to full shade. Asian Jasmine has oval leaves 1-2 inches long that are glossy and dark green. It has a compact habit and will grow prostrate on the ground or cling to a wall. Asian Jasmine can grow in variety of situations which is why it is often seen planted in many landscapes.

Hardiness: Zones 7-11
Plant Use: Groundcover
Exposure: Sun to Shade
Water Requirements: Medium

I'm unable to locate a source of this plant in southern California, but now that you know the botanical name, you may be able to ask a local retailer if they have a source. Hope so!