The Q&A Archives: Evergreen Espalier

Question: Greetings - we buy your products at Golden Acres up here in the Frozen North. I have a south backyard with a west-facing fence where I would like to construct an espalier. For a Zone 3 application (aside from the Clamatis family), is it possible to espalier a creeping juniper? OK, stop laughing now... Or would the branches be too exposed to winter drying?

Answer: This is a really tough question. You could experiment and see what happens, but I am not too optimistic. It would be great if it works, though. Spruce or mugo pine might be another one to try. You could probably prune them in an interesting way over time similar to bonsai training. Perhaps your local retailer would also have some ideas. Or, maybe some fancy work with a paintbrush to create a "faux" wall mural of an espalier in leaf for winter show and also grow a deciduous espalier such as an apple tree on the fence. Good luck with your project!