The Q&A Archives: Japanese Blueberry

Question: My Japanese Blueberry's leaves look like something is eating them. What would be the best to spray the tree with to avoid further damage?

Answer: It's really important to identify exactly what is damaging your plants before attempting to spray something on them. You may do more harm than good. I always start with the simplest method first, and if that isn't successful, move on from there. Healthy vigorous plants will withstand insect attacks best and sometimes a little damage is acceptable, as beneficial insects and birds will move in to take care of pest control chores for you. With some insects, a strong blast of water from the hose every few days does the trick. Other insects are "immune" to sprays, or they are ineffective as the insects don't ingest the plant material. Leaf cutter bees, for example, take a half-moon shaped piece out of leaves using it to build nests. I suggest you take a sample of the plant damage to your County Cooperative Extension office for identification. They can then tell you what, if any, action needs to be taken. 2345 Red Rock St, Las Vegas, 702-223-3130. Good luck!