The Q&A Archives: jasmine in the sun

Question: I had a star jasmine plant on a trellis on a very sunny deck which turned entirely brown (but I don't think it was dead, per se). So I bought a new jasmine plant for this location and it is slowly doing the same thing. Is it possible it is getting too much sun? Not enough water? How can I prevent this from happening with my new jasmine?

Answer: It doesn't sound as though your jasmine liked its environment! Potted Jasmine likes bright, indirect light in summer. Perhaps yours is getting reflected heat from a wall? Preferred temperatures are around 70 in daytime to no less than 60 at night. It requires a good deal of humidity to grow and bloom well - frequent misting is a good idea. Keep soil evenly moist, without letting it dry out or get soggy. These extremes cause the buds to drop, and with a scent like jasmine, you don't want to lose a single one! As for fertilizer, you can apply a blooming houseplant food as directed on the label year round. Try moving your jasmine and adjusting the watering schedule. Hope it perks up!