The Q&A Archives: Will Radicans Dwarf Gardenia Survive Richmond?

Question: I just moved from Atlanta, GA to Richmond, VA. I had several dwarf radicans gardenias and absolutely loved them. They had no problem tolerating Atlanta winters over the past 5 years. I would really like to plant them in front of my new home in Richmond, VA. I know I am in the same cold hardiness zone (7), but am not sure if they will tolerate the winters this far north in zone 7. If they won't, could you suggest a substitute gardenia of about the same size that could. Gardenias are my absolute favorite flower. Thank you.

Answer: Gardenia radicans is hardy to 20F. Temperatures lower than that will result in some dieback of the foliage, but the roots should remain alive if you mulch around them. Hope this answers your question!