The Q&A Archives: Poinsettia Tree

Question: I recently saw a poinsettia tree! It was about 3 feet tall with a bare trunk and flowers all over the top. How do I do this with my own plain plants? Can I somehow force my poinsettia's into becoming trees for next Christmas?

Answer: I'll bet the tree you saw was spectacular! The technical answer to your question is: Poinsettia's are members of the Euphorbia family, native to Central America and Mexico. Euphorbia pulcherrima (poinsettia) will grow to 10 feet high in its native habitat. What you saw was especially grown in a greenhouse for several years. For you to attain a 3 foot high, healthy poinsettia, you'd have to duplicate the growing conditions of the plant's native habitat. If you have a greenhouse, and lots of patience, you can achieve similar results - but probably not by next Christmas.