The Q&A Archives: Tropical Looking Plants to Grow in Georgia

Question: I grew up in the tropics in Africa and would like to recreate the tropical look in my garden here in Georgia. Could you give me the names of plants that would look tropical but that could also remain in the garden year round? Are there such plants or would I have to container garden and bring them in during winter? Many thanks in advance.

Answer: Christine,

Southern magnolia is nice with its broad foliage. Little Gem is a good dwarf variety. I like cannas for tropical effect and the varieties Bengal Tiger and Tropicana are very interesting. Elephant ear may have trouble with your winters but is worth the effort to dig in fall and replant the bulbous base in spring. There are some hardy palms such as needle palm, hardy ornamental banana and cast iron plant are some good options.