The Q&A Archives: When and how do I trim lavender?

Question: Last year I planted lavender. I did not do any trimming. I planted it in a circle with a rose bush in the middle. This spring it looked as thought some of it died. It is coming back, but it is scragly looking. It is now producing flower stems. How do I make it neat and fuller?

Answer: The time to prune lavender is in early spring once you are able to tell which parts have winterkilled and which parts are still fully alive. You would trim off any winter damaged stems, and then cut the rest of the plant back to restore a fairly symmetrical look and remove about half of the overall size. Since it is getting ready to bloom, you could trim off just the dead portions now. After the blooms fade, then give the plants a light shearing to deadhead and tidy them up. Next year, prune in early spring.