The Q&A Archives: How to care for my y ellow groove bamboo?

Question: I planted bamboo 3 or 4 weeks ago. When can I expect to see some growth? It's pretty mature about 5 feet. Will it spread horizontal?

Answer: Bamboo grows upright and does not branch out. The culms grow quickly and stop at their mature height. It may not grow much this year. Each year they come up bigger and taller. It usually takes several years for the bamboo to become established and start growing at its normal speed and to put on some size. The new culms coming up each spring will expand the clump outward. Phyllostachys aureosulcata is a running bamboo, meaning underground stems spread outward and then grow upward, so be prepared for it to spread steadily wider beginning in a few years. Also, this bamboo reaches a range of 15 feet up to 25 feet tall, in your relatively cool winter climate I would look for it to mature in the shorter end of the size range.