The Q&A Archives: Rosebush Sprout

Question: I have a rose bush that we transplanted. I had just about given up on it when it suddenly took off with new growth. In the middle of the base, one stem shot straight up. At the tip was one single, beautiful, yellow rose bud. How do I trim it. Do I consider the growth to be a stem or the base?

Answer: Sounds as though you've got vigorous growth from the rootstock of your rose. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's probably not what the patented rose is supposed to look like. If you like it, you can treat it like a new cane and cut it back to about 18 inches. From there it will branch out and produce two new canes next growing season. It may out-compete the rest of the rose bush, so you'll eventually have to decide whether to discard the other canes, or cut this one off. Gardening is always such an interesting hobby!