The Q&A Archives: An Acre of Corn

Question: What are the reccomended rates for sweet corn per acre on a bicolor variety such as 'Honey and Pearl' or 'Peaches and Cream'?

Answer: Wow, you certainly love your corn! On a commercial basis, farmers usually expect 18,000 to 20,000 plants per acre. Not all seeds germinate so they overseed by a small percentage. Let's see how my math is: There are 250 seeds in a 2oz. packet, times 8gives us 16 ounces or 2000 seeds per pound. If that math works for you, purchase 10 or 11 pounds of seed for your one acre corn field. I'm not familiar with the varieties you mention, so be sure and ask your source if there are specific seeding recommendations. I know that some varieties have a higher germination rate, which can result in crowded plants that compete too much for resources.