The Q&A Archives: I need a list of annuals/perennials to plant to bloom consecutively?

Question: Can you tell me what types of annuals/perennials would be good to plant to bloom from spring through fall. I get early morning sun and shade in the afternoon so I need something that would do well in these conditions.

Answer: There are many different plants you could use depending on your personal taste. However here are some to consider for your area, zone 6. Perennials: Helleborus, Lily of the valley, Pulmonaria, viola, bleeding heart, Solomon's Seal, Virginia Bluebells, Tiarella, Heuchera, assorted Hostas, Tiarella, Liriope, Ophiopogon, Ligularia nummularia aurea, Tricyrtis and of course assorted ferns. Annuals: caladium, tuberous begonia, impatiens, mimulus, coleus, perilla and you can experiment with houseplants such as angel-wing begonias, African violets and Monstera philodendron for additional textural interest. I hope this gives you some ideas. Your local professional nursery staff may have additional suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the growing conditions where you want to plant and your design goals. Enjoy your shade garden!