The Q&A Archives: Pom Pom topiary juniper not doing well

Question: I purchased a monrovia juniper pom pom topiary four years ago. The first three years everything fine and healthy. I have kept it trimmed and fertilized yearly with holly tone. This year it looks sick. Dropping foliage and dull/some browning foliage. I have sprayed with volk oil 2x early and recently have used a daconil.
Any suggestions?? I would appreciate any ideas you have. Thanks

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what has happened to your juniper. It is possible there is a pest or disease problem, or that there is some sort of rooting issue that is only now becoming apparent. I would suggest you work with your county extension and/or professionally trained nurseryman to try to figure out specifically what is causing the browning and then knowing that, work from there. It is never a good idea to start spraying or treatments without knowing specifically what is actually causing the problem. Good luck with your juniper!