The Q&A Archives: Bugs on plants

Question: I have a butterfly bush and sweet eys susans that have some sort of bugon the leaves. The plants came back nice and full this year, but I am noticing that the leaves have brown spots all over them. What is it, what should I use to treat the plants. Help!!! I have just added 42 plants to my wild garden and am concernd about my other plants. What should I do????

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am unable to give you a specific diagnosis. Spots can be caused by many different things including both pests and diseases. Without knowing what it is, I can't tell what to do about them -- or even if it is something you need to worry about. Often problems can be left untreated unless they are quite serious. And in a wild garden, you might want to avoid spraying as much as possible to protect the wildlife such as birds and butterflies you will be attracting. I would suggest you work with your county extension to determine what is causing the spots and then knowing that, work from there.