The Q&A Archives: Grass around Wrought Iron Fence

Question: I have an aluminum type of

Answer: Cate,

Good question. There are several approaches. One is to use a herbicide such as
Finale to kill a narrow strip of grass under the fence periodically. A second approach is to lay something down beneath the fence to cover the soil, such as a strip of weed block fabric covered with mulch. However southern grasses tend to be running types and this will just get overrun with the grass quite quickly. Some folks pour a narrow concrete curb around the property but this means time, money and may not be asthetically acceptable. I would consider the best option to be creating a narrow bed along the fence extending out on both sides. Line the bed with landscape edging to make the string trimmer work easier. The bed could be left in mulch, planted with flowers or planted with a short shrub like dwarf yaupon.